Justice for Cafeteria Food

Andres Castro, Staff Writer

Chicken sandwiches, burritos and teriyaki dumplings are just a few of the many items on our school’s diverse lunch menu. I’ve tried every single item on the menu, and I’ve enjoyed each one.. School lunch may be a mixed bag, but it is a severely underappreciated and underutilized service. 

Nowadays, most students have the luxury of going outside for lunch and buying the food they want. However, school lunch provides an excellent alternative to students who may not be able to afford to buy food day after day.. It’s extremely generous for  the school to provide students with free, adequate food. Most students say that they don’t eat school food because it’s “gross” – an argument that barely holds up. 

Although some items on the menu feel a bit artificial and unhealthy,  the  majority of the food  is satisfying, flavorful and filling. The school offers a wide variety of meals, some of which are hard to find on the street. This gives people the opportunity to eat foods they might not have even considered had they bought it themselves. 

A few months ago, I was out with some friends trying to decide what to eat, and  eventually I landed on pizza. However, after thinking about it, I realized I had already had pizza a few times that week. Although this would’ve been a cheap solution, I wanted to diversify my meals.  Just as I was about to give in and buy the pizza, I received a text from a friend telling me that the cafeteria was serving barbecue chicken dumplings. When I read this, my mouth watered, and my stomach grumbled. I ran back to school as fast as I could to get my hands on some dumplings.

This opened my eyes to the wonderful world of school lunch.  I have the luxury of eating a nice meal, whenever I please, thanks to the generosity of my school. Next time you don’t know what you want for lunch, take a chance on our very own cafeteria.