Political Polarization: A Growing Problem

Ava Rosenberg, Staff Writer

Political polarization refers to the disparity of political attitudes to ideological extremes, which has been a growing predicament within our country for years. The democratic and republican parties are prime examples of term duality, with the oppositional words of “liberal” and “conservative” applied. Through having the opportunity to partake in the Next Gen Politics Civic Forums, I was able to learn more about Political Polarization through lecturers and other high school students. Through exploring the topic, we were able to agree on the fact that this does exist, and we must shed light on the problem at hand. 

There are several causes of political polarization, mass media being a prime stakeholder in such. Six major news corporations control 90 percent of our media.1  With such little variety and representation from media outlets, there are bound to be extreme biases. It is easy to get caught up in the mainstream media as it seems that there is no critical analysis of politics, but just competitions between CNN and FOX news. These arguments are not for the purpose of educating their viewers, but vying to prove their political superiority. 

Viewers are getting information from two oppositional political standpoints, perpetuating the need to choose an extreme. Soon, impressionable viewers who cannot corroborate sources and identify the propaganda are swayed by a persuasive and redundant host. 

https://ideas.ted.com/yes-theres-hope-for-an-end-to-political-polarization-in-the-us/

As individuals with distinct identities, the whole population should not be affiliating or having to choose between two polar political ideals. The independent party does not get the representation it deserves, because of its middle ground stance. As unique humans, we must value the nuances and idiosyncrasies that separate us from the crowd, and that shapes our identity. When it comes to politics, these subtleties are overlooked, due to political polarization. 

There are severe hostilities between contrary political parties. We make judgments on others based on their political party, we are segregated in our own communities, and we feel the need to conform and align with one party. Our lives are being dictated by a path that is divisive and destructive. Politics are essential, and many have the privilege of not needing to worry about them, for it doesn’t impact their lives. I am not saying to disregard politics but suggesting the embracement of individualistic beliefs, and formulation of healthy discussions with a variety of opinions. We should begin to appreciate the niceties of our identity and opinions so that they don’t have to align with the main party, but that they align with one’s self.

An open primary is an election that doesn’t require voters to be affiliated with a political party in order to vote for partisan candidates. People must use that to their advantage. There will never, to a full extent,  be unity within a nation, but there can be progress. The less politically polarized we are, and the more we formulate our own beliefs without the pressure to affiliate with one party, the more allied we can become. There will always be a discrepancy between people, as we are all human. Nevertheless, these corporations and parties have benefited from employing these diversities in a manipulative way, furthering the divide. However, there is still hope. We have been more polarized in the past than we are today, so let’s proceed on the track to discontinuing political schism. 

Want to learn more about political polarization in our country? 

Check out these articles and infographics about the topic!

Citations:

1. Business Insider

Media:

Note: The content in this article was written mainly using information gathered from a Civic Form at BCCHS in collaboration with Next Generation Politics.