Baruch Students Confront the PSAT

Sadie Brea, Carter Chau, and Jaelyn Huang

The Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, has been an exam eleventh graders have been dreading. To prepare, the Practice SAT (PSAT) was given to students on Oct. 25, 2022. This practice test gave students the opportunity to apply for the merit scholarship. The four-section test which takes three and a half hours caused mixed emotions for juniors.

After completing the PSAT, stress and confusion arose for many students due to not understanding content or running out of time. As a notorious test to many, the confidence of students has been in question. With the belief a good score equals a good college, the SAT has been put on a pedestal.

Junior Matt Abril described his PSAT experience as “stressful.” 

Junior Ariel Obero, who also took the PSAT, said her experience with the test was better in October than in March because she was more prepared. She said, however, the most difficult part for her to complete was the math section with no calculator.

Overall, the PSAT hasn’t changed Obero’s perspective of standardized testing, but similarly to Abril, she believes the SAT should not be the main factor in defining a student’s intelligence. 

Ultimately, though, Abril hopes to go to MIT with a required score of at least 1500 – which he said is crazy. 

SAT scores were generally required for college admissions, but due to COVID-19, more universities have converted to the test-optional route. 

“You can show it if you want, but if you got a bad score you don’t need to send it,” said junior Joshua Einhorn. 

Abril said the tweak has changed his perspective on standardized testing, but “good schools” like Harvard, MIT and Yale have a basic requirement of a 1500 score. 

Overall, students had to endure the PSAT to prepare for the SAT testing dates next semester.